Sunday, June 19, 2011

Don't Forget to Dance

Yesterday I attended a wedding. Two of my friends found love with each and made the life long vow to become husband and wife. It was a beautiful wedding and the reception was well thought out and very enjoyable.

After dinner and cake, my twin two year old girls were ready to take on the dance floor. I let them loose and they had a blast jumping and running in circles while music played and lights sparkled. They were quite the spectacle as they were the only two on the dance floor.

The two of them were so careless and free and cared nothing for what people thought of them. One day that will change for them. One day they will not allow themselves to dance like that for they will understand that people form opinions. They will censor what they say or what they do in their efforts to conform to society.

I wish I could say that I will do my best to prevent that from happening and allow them to be the free spirits they are now. But what knowledge can I share with them? I censor myself. I prevent myself from saying or doing things to conform to society.

My daughter will tell me I have a booger in my nose. But how many times has someone not told me that, for fear they would embarrass me?

When it comes to this topic, I have nothing to teach. However, I can learn. My beautiful daughters are excellent teachers when it comes to how people should censor themselves.

I'm a poor dancer. Rare is the day when I am ever on a dance floor. But yesterday, I accepted a lesson from my girls. I stepped out onto the floor and danced with them. I accepted the world through their reality and I will never forget the joy they had in their eyes when they were with their daddy having the time of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment