Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Omniscient Author

Do you ever wonder if God really has it all planned in advance?

When I write I have the beginning, middle, and end in mind. It's the details and the journey to get there that I don't know. Not even my characters are fully developed yet. Many times at the end of my story, I often find that my character is much different than what I originally had planned for him to be.

For when I am planning my story, its just that. My story hasn't come to life yet until I have committed it to paper and begin to write. I imagine most authors feel the same when I say, the story really comes alive when you write it. In some cases, it feels like it takes a life of it's own. When I'm engrossed in a story, I can't wait for it to continue because even though I am writing it, I do not always feel like I have complete control. My characters become real in my story. They have their own minds, their own thoughts, and their own agenda.

So rather than feeling like a composer, I feel more like a bystander. I may guide the story, but the actions taken along the way happen on their own. I've given my characters free will within the world I created for them.

God knows how it ends for me. But I do appreciate that he's given me the free reign to make the daily decisions to create my own journey to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment